The Tamron SP AF28-75/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro is a fast, general purpose lens for both digital and film cameras. On a film camera the 28-70mm range covers a lot of applications from landscapes and photojournalism to travel and environmental portraits. On a typical APS-C digital camera, such as the Canon EOS 60D, it has the same field of view as a 45-120mm lens would on a full frame 35mm camera. This range also has a number of "typical applications" but perhaps of most interest is that it covers the "portrait" range, which traditionally has been from about 80mm to 105mm.
Of course you can take portraits with anything from a wideangle to a telephoto, but most portraiture is done with short telephotos (80-105mm). A fast (f2.8) lens also lends itself to portraiture, where a smaller DOF gives a more diffuse background.
The Tamron SP AF28-75/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro is a Tamron "Di" lens. Di lenses designed with digital SLRs in mind and Tamron say that they have higher resolution, better control of flare and ghosting, less light fall-off and lower chromatic aberration than earlier designs.
In The Box
- AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical SP IF (A09E) For Canon
- Flower-shaped lens hood (DA09)
- Front lens cap
- Rear lens cap
- Model Number: A09E
- Lens Construction (Groups/Elements): 14/16
- Focal Length: 28mm to 75mm
- Maximum Aperture: f2.8
- Diaphragm Blade Number: 7
- Minimum Aperture: f/32
- Minimum Focus: 0.33m (entire zoom range)
- Macro Mag. Ratio: 1:3.9 (at 75mm)
- Filter Diameter: 67mm
- Weight: 510g
- Diameter x Length: 73mm x 92mm
- Accessories: Flower-shaped lens hood (DA09) included
- Mount: Canon