Providing the full resolving power of its new sensor, the EOS 5DS R DSLR Camera from Canon is a variant of the 5DS with the sensor's low-pass filter rendered neutral.
By cancelling the effect of the filter, the 50.6 MP sensor is enabled to deliver an even higher resolution with more intricate details.
The potential downside to this is that the cancellation function brings with it the greater possibility of moiré and other color artifacts.
This is a camera for those interested in the utmost resolution from the sensor and the ability to control color artifacts either in-camera or with post-processing software.
This long-awaited follow-up to the vaunted 5D Mark III and brings with it new technology and a number of significant upgrades, placing it in very lofty territory for a DSLR.
Featuring a full-frame 50.6 MP CMOS sensor, the camera captures ultra-high resolution images suitable for large-scale printing and extensive, creative cropping.
The Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors provide the wherewithal to handle this abundance of information, enabling fast performance speeds and top-of-the-line image quality.
The 5DS R also features advanced video capability including HD 1080p capture at 30 fps and a Time Lapse movie function which takes still photos at set intervals and combines them into a full HD movie.
The EOS Scene Detection System with the 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor provides precise exposure and color metering and the 61-point High Density Reticular AF sensor with 41 cross-type points enables accurate AF placement and Canon's EOS iTR (Intelligent Tracking and Resolution) enhances AF performance by using information from the metering sensor.
Crop shooting at 1.3x and 1.6x allows for flexibility in the size of image files created and the selection of lenses. Also, a built-in intervalometer and bulb timer expand your creative options.
An advanced mirror control mechanism and new selectable shutter release lag times control camera vibration for reduced blur and quiet operation.
Anti-flicker functionality compensates for flickering light sources, providing consistent exposure metering during continuous shooting.
Despite its large file sizes, the 5DS R can still offer up to a 5 fps continuous shooting rate.
For stable eye-level composition the 5DS R features the Intelligent Viewfinder II with 100% coverage. In addition to its clear view, a superimposed, transparent LCD is incorporated which displays setting information and offers a customizable view of focus points and grid lines.
The 3.2" ClearView II LCD monitor provides playback and live view composition with 1.04m-dot resolution and a 170º viewing angle.
High-transparency materials and multi-coating resist reflections for bright viewing, especially important when shooting video.
The 5DS R is a durable and multi-faceted camera for advanced use, yet its dimensions match that of the 5D Mark III.
A magnesium-alloy build provides resistance to impact and the elements and inputs include a PC terminal, 3-pin input, an external microphone jack as well as HDMI out and USB 3.0 compatibility.
The base plate and tripod socket have also been reinforced to reduce vibrations and ensure a secure attachment to support systems. Dual media slots for Compact Flash and SD format memory cards are supported.
A customizable Quick Control System allows you to easily switch between frequently used settings and functions.
- 50.6 MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors
- Low-Pass Filter Effect Cancellation
- 3.2" 1.04m-Dot ClearView II LCD Monitor
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps
- 61-Point High Density Reticular AF
- ISO 100-6400; 5 fps Continuous Shooting
- 150,000-Pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor
- User-Selectable Shutter Release Time Lag
- Anti-Flicker Compensation
In The Box
- Canon EOS 5DS R Digital SLR Camera
- RF-3 Camera Cover
- LP-E6N Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (7.2V, 1865mAh)
- LC-E6 Charger
- Eyecup Eg
- Wide Strap EW-EOS5DSR
- IFC-150U II USB 3.0 Interface Cable
- Lens Mount: Canon EF
- Camera Format: Full-Frame (1.0x Crop Factor)
- Actual: 53 Megapixel
- Effective: 50.6 Megapixel
- Max Resolution: 50.3 MP: 8688 x 5792
- Aspect Ratio: 1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 16:9
- Sensor Type/Size: CMOS, 36 x 24 mm
- File Formats:
- Still Images: JPEG, RAW
- Movies: MOV, MPEG-4 AVC/H.264
- Audio: Linear PCM (Stereo)
- Bit Depth: 14-bit
- Dust Reduction System: Yes
- Memory Card Type: CompactFlash, SD, SDHC, SDXC
- Focus Type: Auto & Manual
- Focus Mode: Automatic (A), Full-time Servo (F), Manual Focus (M), Single-servo AF (S)
- Autofocus Points:
- Phase Detection: 61, 41 cross-type
- Viewfinder Type: Pentaprism
- Viewfinder Eye Point: 21.00 mm
- Viewfinder Coverage: 100%
- Viewfinder Magnification: Approx. 0.71x
- Diopter Adjustment: - 3 to +1 m
- Display Screen: 3.2" Rear Screen LCD (1,040,000)
- Screen Coverage: 100%
- Diagonal Angle of View: 170.0°
- ISO SensitivityAuto, 100-6400 (Extended Mode: 50-12800)
- Type: Mechanical
- Speed: 1/8000 - 30 seconds
- Mirror Lock-Up: Yes
- Metering Method: Center-weighted average metering, Evaluative metering, Partial Metering, Spot metering
- Exposure Modes: Aperture Priority, Bulb, C1, C2, Custom, Manual, Programmed Auto, Scene Auto Selector, Shutter Priority
- Metering Range: EV 0.0 - EV 20.0
- Compensation: -5 EV to +5 EV (in 1/3 or 1/2 EV steps)
- White Balance Modes: Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature, Custom, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (White), Shade, Sunset, Tungsten, Twilight
- Flash Modes: TTL Auto, Wireless
- Built-in Flash: No
- Max Sync Speed: Mechanical Shutter: 1/200 seconds
- Flash Compensation: -3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
- Dedicated Flash System: eTTL
- External Flash Connection: Hot Shoe, PC Terminal
- Video Recording: Yes, NTSC/PAL
- File Size: 1920 x 1080p (Full HD)
- Video Format:
- High Definition
- MPEG AVC/H.264
- 1920 x 1080p/29.97 fps/25 fps/23.98 fps
- Standard Definition
- MPEG AVC/H.264
- 1280 x 720p/59.94 fps/50 fps
- MPEG AVC/H.264
- 640 x 480p/29.97 fps/25 fps
- Exposure Control:
- Auto: Shutter Speed, Aperture, ISO
- Manual: Shutter Speed, Aperture, ISO
- ISO Sensitivity: Auto, 100 - 6400, Expandable to 12800
- Exposure Compensation: -3 EV to +3 EV (in 1/3 EV steps)
- Focus: Auto, Manual, Continuous Auto
- Video Clip Length:
- 1920 x 1080
- ALL-I11 min. (654 MB / min.)
- 1920 x 1080
- IPB33 min. (255 MB / min.)
- 1280 x 720
- ALL-I13 min. (583 MB / min.)
- 1280 x 720
- IPB38 min. (196 MB / min.)
- 640 x 480
- IPB97 min. (78 MB / min.)
- Audio Recording: Built-in Mic: With Video
- Optional External Mic: With Video
- Continuous Shooting: Up to 5 fps
- Shutter Lag: 0.059 seconds
- Self Timer: 2 seconds, 10 seconds
- Interval Recording: Yes
- Connectivity: 1x Audio Out, Canon N3, HDMI C (Mini), USB 3.0
- Wi-Fi Capable: Not Specified By Manufacturer
- Battery: 1x LP-E6N Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack
- AC Power Adapter: AC Adapter Kit ACK-E6 (Optional)
- Operating/Storage Temperature:
- Operating: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
- Humidity: 0 - 85%
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 6.0 x 4.6 x 3.0" / 15.2 x 11.7 x 7.6 cm
- Weight: 29.81 oz/845 g Body Only